Monday, August 27, 2012

Century with Ross-August 23, 2012

Friday Ross and I did a century out to Oregon and back.  It was the first time Ross had ridden a century and we had a real good time together. I had been itching to do a big ride to Oregon for some time and while riding last Tuesday night, Ross and I decided we should get after it and do one before school got back in session. The route was good, with probably over half of it on gravel roads. It had some fun climbs too. The day itself was very hot with a high around 93ºF or 94ºF. We started early and the morning was nice with lots of clouds but the clouds and their shady respite disappeared quickly as the day progressed. We managed to stave off the bonk by drinking shit loads of water and eating a very salty meal in Oregon before heading back to DeKalb. Also, there comes a point on most long rides where I am helpless against the allure of Casey's pizza. So we had some of that too.  We were pretty fried by the time we made it back but that was kind of the point in the first place and we had fun doing it.  


Casseroll and Spacehorse make a good team.


I just can't help myself.


More treats.  Give me a break, it was hot.


I like this image.  The blazing white glare of the sun, Ross's head down...  Captures the mood at that moment in the ride pretty well.


Twombley all the way from Rochelle to DeKalb to finish things off.  Ugh.  That was not an exciting stretch.


Ross at the Magical One Hundredth Mile.  Salty!!

No comments:

Post a Comment